Friday, July 23, 2010

It's too hot!

Well, it is in the city - up country its wonderful; wore my sweat shirt each morning and evening!
The job (that pays) has begun, so the momentum on the cabin has slowed; this week I met with a roofer and worked the grounds as a change of pace - continuing to cut trails that my wife began.
The land is so nice - it has been a real treat being here so often watching how the environment changes. In late May the wild strawberries and oregano were everywhere; now blackberries and thyme carpet the ground. Swaths of purple flowers blanket the ground - when you walk over them the air is filled with the scent of thyme. It's magical.
As for animals; first it was dozens of chipmunks, now its dozens (hundreds?) of cotton tailed rabbit. Plus the normal deer, wild turkey, fox, with rumors of coyote and bear. And spiders and snakes and salamanders - the really cool florescent ones! And birds - forget about it! I can't even begin, lets just say that most of the time I feel like I live in a bird sanctuary. Happily the bugs aren't terrible this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment