Friday, August 6, 2021

Covering the deck

 The cabin has been standing for 10 years, and the rains in the Northeast have only increased, so I thought I would add a roof over the deck. The deck originally had a 10 by 10 tent that would cover a section, but it was a bother to put up and take down.

This portion of the deck is 10 by 16.

The first step was to attach a 16' 2 by 10 to the cabin. According to span tables I saw, the 12' attached to the cabin would allow a 4' span to float over the deck. This is super convenient because it allows me to omit a center joist in the most high-traffic spot.


The next step was adding the stud wall - this shook and swayed like all get out but I trusted my friends who said it would become well anchored once all the pieces were in place.

The rafters slipped in nice and easy although 12' 2 by 6 is a bit weighty. Cutting birdsmouth for the rafters still doesn't come naturally to me, but I finally did figure it out by the fourth try. My friends were right - the stud wall is now well anchored.

Next up was running strapping for the roofing - I'm just doing translucent plastic roofing for now, but the framing is strong enough to hold an actual plywood and metal roof.



Next, I added the roofing material and am very happy with the outcome


How happy am I?  This happy 

Of course, once I looked around I knew something was missing


So I added more roofing. :)

1

2


3

All in all a big change - it does have a bit of a 1970's feel with all the plastic, but it sure was simple and it sure is nice walking out of the cabin and hearing the rain instead of feeling it.

Next up cleaning the decks and adding water catchment.


No comments:

Post a Comment