Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter - what a better time to build a ship ladder


Each winter I have some extra time to go to a friends house and play in his unheated barn/workshop. Like last year, I prepped lumber for a privy, but then I also decided to whip up a 16' ships ladder. My friend Larry and his son Max were a great help & I couldn't have done it without them.

The lumber yard out by Larry is pretty limited, so we took some regular 2 by 6 yellow pine and trimmed them down to 5/4 by 6 - this would hopefully make a more graceful shape. We then sanded everything down, cut the steps to 18", marked and routed both rails of the ladder, shoved it all together and screwed it all in. Larry has a full shop, so making this happen took just one day - it would be impossible to have done this on site!

Larry then tied the beast to the car (thank you rent a car company!) and I drove 4 hours through snow squalls back to my cabin. Of course I didn't think about getting the 700' driveway plowed, and there was too much snow to drive in, but I could use the rails as ski treads and I simply pulled the ladder over the snow to the cabin.

Squeezing the 16' ladder into a 12' square cabin (11' square inside!) was an absolute challenge and that task took almost as long as building the ladder. As of now it is not quite in the position I want, but it is in the cabin. It is taking up all the space in the cabin, as it runs diagonally across the cabin - from corner to corner and floor to ceiling! But I'll fix that soon, and hopefully have more pictures.
askew ladder

1 comment:

  1. This approach is a really excellent and additionally revealing; featuring all of the knowledge together with boasts an awesome effect on the latest solutions. At this time follow-up Check Cashing Spring-Valley Regards just for stating the software.

    ReplyDelete