Monday, May 2, 2011

April Showers

I rented a van to get all the stuff I have collected over the winter upstate, including 55 sheets of 1/8th’ luan sheets – 48” by 96”. For days before my arrival it rained, but on the day of unloading the sky cleared and Steve helped me hump it down to the cabin site. Thank you Steve! We also did some much needed trail repair, since we turned any trail we walked on into mud. Layers of mulch, followed by the largest, flattest rocks we could carry saved the trails.
The next week Larry got to come up and we powered out the interior. The reasons I went for 1/8th plywood were numerous: the cost, the weight (Steve and I had to carry it 1000 feet), small cabin means the thicker the walls are, the narrower the room gets, and ease of installation – I didn’t want to have to rent a generator to attach the ply to the frame. I did use, with much success, a staple gun that also shoots brads. With two of these and utility knives to cut the ply, Larry and began and finished the job in 2 days.


The chandelier that had been gifted by my good friend Tom - I have it on a pulley system to lower and light at night.
The second floor ceiling - decided to do the extra work and leave the rafters exposed.
Next up is the molding!

We also took the time to repair the second window – the sight of the fields, woods and sky are lovely. This is my TV!

We took many breaks to sit and enjoy the view.
The water is running in the creek!


By the end, we went back to Larry’s shop and chose a walnut slab to cut down to make into window sills.



future window sills!

No comments:

Post a Comment