Tuesday, July 12, 2011

July

Tossing in the images, more description as I have time.

Larry did an amazing job prepping the window sills & frames and magically attaching them to my car so I could get them from his barn to my site :).
Here is the walnut trimmed and just beginning to get oiled. Larry cut, shaped and sanded the sills from one 4" thick plank that came from a walnut tree that he cut down about 8 years ago. See the pics of that in an earlier post. I gave a finish sand down to a 220 grit sand paper.


In general, I do three coats of the oil, with a buff of 0000 steel wool between coats.


I love the details of the grain. This is only the second coat of oil, I still need to buff out the wood and oil again
.

This is a view of the sill and frame rested in; I didn't have time for a full install, but wanted to get an idea of how it looks.I think it will work!


Here is the cabin after staining. Each wall took about one hour of hand rubbing in the stain. I wore a mask because the fumes were intense, and took long breaks!

A disaster after staining the walls - all my crap piled pell mell in the center of the room. Shelves are in order!

Ta -da! Using scrap lumber from the cabin project, I whipped up a quick storage facility
No more mess!
On breaks between staining the cabin - I finished the installation of the sink in the out house.
Sink and faucet installed. Found 10" corner sink online from a RV store. PVC drain pipe goes into the crib and 3/4" faucet with a straight pipe connection to the barrel.

Here is the 15 Gallon barrel set on the back of the outhouse.Originally blue, I painted it green so it would blend in. The cap of the barrel has dozens of 1/4" holes drilled in the top with a layer of mosquito netting. It is attached to the gutter with a twisty gutter part - it can be shaped to any angle so is perfect for this application - about $3 at Home Depot or Lowes.

It rained all night after the install - we now have running water!
Getting way too carried away with stairs. Why do easy when I can get complex?

The stair too wide. Fortunately ran out of nails and battery power for the screws before I finished.

The driveway in the process of getting trimmed with the scythe. I didn't do this last year so the growth is ridiculously thick and over powering. The entrance from the road felt like the entrance to the Bat Cave on the TV show - the bushes were so large I could barely make out the driveway!

No comments:

Post a Comment