Saturday, July 14, 2012

Shaker Style Oak Desk

Last winter I was on the floor grading papers when I realized I needed a desk. I found a lot of great info on line for  building and design, and thought I would add my own two cents.
I wanted to build a Shaker style table, roughly 36" long, 14" wide and 30" high. It's Shaker in style only because I used glue and, as you will see, a whole lot of electric power.
At the beginning of my summer vacation I journeyed back out to my friend Larry's to see what we could do about it. Larry has been collecting trees, cutting them into boards, and aging them. After going through his collection we found a piece of oak - one of the first trees he had prepared, probably 20 years ago.


The three pictures above are of the jerry rigged planer. The board is 15 1/2" wide and too wide for the planer that Larry has. We mounted the board on a level table, attached rails to the table, and attached the saw to an non-bending metal bar. I then passed the saw over the board in increments until the board was one level. I then flipped the board and repeated. If you do this take your time - it took me the better part of a day.


After completing the planing we sanded. Have I mentioned Larry is a professional? His tools made all this very easy.


Before attaching all the pieces we gave it a quick oil finish - this makes for easy cleaning if there are any glue spills, plus it gave me chance to see how incredible the wood looks!


Again - a professional and his tools.

These are the legs from the same board of oak. They are 1 1/4" square. We then tapered them down to 3/4."

Getting assembled...

Complete...

and in need of a finish. I used danish oil again, but since it is oak it did not absorb as readily as the walnut.

On site. Not a great picture, but the piece is just what I was hoping for. A (very) small desk that blends into the cabin

No comments:

Post a Comment