Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The South deck

As some of you have mentioned, the bonus with the new foundation from last year is that it gives me joists for decks. The south deck was the easiest. I whipped this together in March. With the frozen ground but mild temperatures it was a breeze bringing the lumber to the site.

I used PT 2 by 6 because there was a sale, and I was unsure how strong the 5/4" lumber was. The south deck is going to be used for water storage, so a strong deck is important to me.

I don't have a picture, but I was going to connect a 55 gallon drum to the gutter from the roof 22 feet above the deck. This would have meant installing the gutter. Fortunately, I ran out of time and left the drum on the deck below the roof line. When I returned in June, the drum was 3/4 filled - simply being under the eaves catches enough rain water for me. Not installing the gutters was the easiest thing I have done on the cabin!

No comments:

Post a Comment